The vividness of our dogs can be amazing, but how to measure their intelligence? In this article we will show up with a list of the 10 most intelligent dogs.
The dog intelligence test proved that even an average dog has the mental abilities of a 2-year-old toddler. But Keep in mind that IQ is fairly irrelevant when predicting how well a dog is going to work as a family member.
An average dog can learn up to 165 words (similar to a 2-year-old child), including signals and gestures.
More intelligent dogs are even able to learn 250 words (similar to a 30 month old child).
But if it comes to mathematics a normal dog can beat that easily and has to be compared with a 3 to 4 year old toddler.
If it comes to social behavior dogs act even more like teenagers.
3 types of intelligence in dogs
A study by Stanley Coren, resulting in the book “The Intelligence of Dogs”, explains 3 types of intelligence in dogs:
- 1. Intelligence Adaptation (the ability to learn and solve a problem);
- 2. Instinctive intelligence;
- 3. Intelligence Working / Obedience.
The first two intelligences are individual specifications for each dog, while the third Intelligence Working / Obedience can be applied to all races.
The intelligence capability of dogs differs widely. They show their intelligence capability in the ease with which to understand the orders of their masters, and, after breeding, guide blind people, open doors, sniff out drugs, etc…
Now we come to the dog intelligence ranking:
1. Border Collies are undoubtedly, the most prepared of all dogs. A breed that shows the best in all sorts of examinations, competitions and they are able to perform almost any task. Besides Border Collies are great friends of children, vigilant and very agile.
2. Poodles come in second place on our dog intelligence list. They are great for all kinds of tasks, sniffer, good swimmers, actors, circus artists, nothing resists these curious pets.
3. German Shepherds come up with three features that make them invincible: intelligence, strength and amiable character. Perhaps they are probably too large as a mascot, but undoubtedly one of nature’s most complete animal.
4. Golden Retrievers are kind and caring, but strong and fierce if necessary. In his guide dog area unrivaled, they are good creature and very playful. They are #4 of the most intelligent dogs.
5. Dobermans are reputed to be violent and unintelligent, but that’s far from reality. These dogs are usually very skilled and good keepers, some of them already proofed their talent in the movie world.
6. Shelties, like the Collie, are very smart and a great friend of man. With a coat maybe a little exaggerated that needs great care, a race that went out of fashion but still is among the most popular ranking.
7. Labradors, are similar the Golden Retrievers and also great guides, but are stronger, larger, more robust and playful too.
8. Papillons are a modern hybrid, intelligent, shrewd and small. A little-known mascot, but with the possibility of becoming the favorite at home in no time.
9. Rottweilers too have a reputation to be violent and aggressive, but as always only by the fault of humans. It is good by nature.
10. Australian Shepherds have their origin in the nineteenth century. This breed grows up to 25 pounds and is known for its dog breed intelligence, especially when it is trained to herd cattle.
Keep in mind that IQ is fairly irrelevant when predicting how well a dog is going to work as a family member. You should also know what studies say about mixed dog breeds, they are more intelligent than purebred dogs. So it really doesn´t matter if your dogs breed is not among the list of the most intelligent dogs.